MovableBlog: Archives: November 2002
November 29th, 2002
November 26th, 2002
Here's an example of how it turns out.
Or is that Category Monthly Archives? Anyway, someone asked whether you could have a monthly archive for individual categories, and it seems you can. Then again, it's 3:30 AM, so my mind might have turned out the lights. See my response and help me confirm it a) makes sense and b) actually works.
Update 11:00 AM: so my mind did turn out the lights. Forgot that both templates built the same filenames, one basically overwriting the other. Luckily the person who asked the question is clever and figured out how to have different filenames for the archives on their own.
The W3 validator has been redesigned, and it makes better use of colours and seems to have streamlined its error messages. I don't think this page will ever validate, but that's because I'm too lazy to use the URL cleaner to clean yucky URLs. And I either didn't hack MT so that my <blockquote> over-use doesn't screw the validation.
If you don't know what I mean by that last bit, don't worry. Neither did I.
November 23rd, 2002
Adding custom buttons to your Edit Entry screen is a lot easier than I thought would be. First, go to the mt/tmpl/cms directory, and make a backup of edit_entry.tmpl. I did this using the following Unix command:
cp edit_entry.tmpl edit_entry.tmpl.bak
Now, edit edit_entry.tmpl and search for the first occurance of the word "bold". Copy everything from document.write to the semicolon on the same line, paste what you have, and change the "bold" in the new code to whatever tag you want. I did it for blockquote:
This'll save you some time if you're too lazy to type in your favourite simple tags (like <small> and <em>) that aren't available by default on the MT Edit Entry screen. Remember when you upgrade that you may need to change your edit_entry.tmpl file again. Also, if your tag needs are a bit more complicated, you may want to investigate the MTMacro plugin. I hear it's pretty good.
November 7th, 2002
This is off-topic as far as Movable Type is concerned, but if you're having problems selecting text from your site in Internet Explorer 6, add this code to the first line of your code:
If it gives you a PHP error, add this line instead:
I found this here after searching Google Groups forever, giving up, and trying websites instead.
It works for me (over at China Weblog). Added bonus: it still validates XHTML Transitional 1.0.